How long does it takes to learn kiteboarding?
To be realistic, on average, it takes 6 to 10 hours to get up on the board and ride in both directions. It is crucial to understand that part of the learning process is to emphasize all safety procedures and practice them to be a safe kiteboarder, not only for yourself but for people around you!
Many "instructors" may promise you a faster progression because they simply skim through those aspects and do not respect the safety standards.
Therefore you will not be autonomous after your lessons and likely get in serious trouble once you go on your own or endanger others on the beach, which is the worst case scenario for our fragile community.
At Miami Kiteboarding, as an IKO affiliated training center, we are very committed to turn you into a safe and independent kiteborder.
Students usually buy their own gear after this course: Buy wisely by trying our Selection of Top Brands Equipment with your instructor's guidance. And receive 3 hours of LESSONS FOR FREE!
Why you will learn faster, safer, and better with Miami Kiteboarding:
What Level will You Reach?
- Miami Kiteboarding is the original and largest kitesurfing school, the pionneer of the instruction in Miami since 2001. 12 years of experience has put us a major step ahead of the competition.
Furthermore, we differentiate ourselves in superb quality and teaching methods by following strict safety standards with the most highly skilled coaches in Florida.
The owner, being one of the only 3 Examiner for the IKO in the USA, makes sure to train and hire the best certified Level 1 and 2 IKO Instructors.
- We have one of the most famous "spots" for kiteboaring in the USA: Crandon, with it's shallow waters, makes learning a pleasure.
- We've invested in the latest teaching technolgoy and utilize Radio-helmets for ultimate high-end coaching. We believe the money our students invest in lessons should be rewarded with the best methods and results.
- We've also invested in the most advanced kiteboarding simulator (watch video of simulat0r in action) to teach waterstart skills in real-time to ANYONE, even on a no-wind day! The simulator has astounding results, enhancing progression by 30% in only 30 minutes behind our kiteboat. It can save you 2 hours of waterstart practice!
According to the International Kiteboarding Organization standards, (IKO is the authority worldwide to certify and train kiteboarders and instructors), and with our experience, here is the approximate level you can expect to reach:
Miami Kiteboarding Policy:
- 3 hours: Kite set up- trainer practice- kite piloting in water - body drags- and safety procedures = Discovery IKO Level 1.
- 6 hours: Kite control fully powered - board recovery in deep water, - self rescue procedures- and first water start = Intermediate IKO Level 2.
- 9 hours: waterstarting both directions - fully autonomous with kite and safety awareness = Intermediate IKO Level 2 and 3.
- 15 hours: Consistent riding and upwind riding. = Independent IKO Level 3.
- Any beginner Lesson starts with 1 hourr GROUND CLASS. The 6 hour Course is usually split in 2 or 3 days. Usually lessons sessions start at : 9 AM, 12 PM or 2:30 PM, time may vary according to Weather and your schedule. Arrive 20 min before the course to allow paperwork time.
- All lessons regardless if purchased on line or on the beach require phone reservation minimum 24 before the planned lesson. There is a $100 cancellation policy for no shows. A 24hr notice required for all cancellation. You will be notified by Miami Kiteboarding School if your lesson has to be rescheduled due to the weather conditions; either because not safe or not sufficient.
- Payments online: Print and Bring your receipt with you.
- Payments on the beach: Any majors credit cards or cash accepted.